Social Media Automation
A Skeptic's Guide
Should I post the same updates on every social network?
You can – but whether you should is another question entirely!
Every social network has its own unique benefits and limitations, and you can choose either to ignore them or to embrace them.
A tweet, for example, can only be 280 characters – but that doesn’t mean your Facebook and LinkedIn posts should also be that short!
Tailoring your updates for each network doesn’t necessarily mean they have to be 100% unique, either. You can reuse the text from a Facebook update to write a tweet, for example, but then modify the message for length and include Twitter-specific features like @-mentions.
(And don’t forget – Twitter requires you to post unique content each time you post. More on how to make sure you’re doing that right here.)
So, you don’t have to alter your updates from one network to the next – but taking the time to do so could benefit you in the end. Take advantage of the unique styles and options within each social media platform to help your brand really shine!
Do automation tools prevent me from doing things like posting image updates?
It depends on the tool! Edgar, for example, features image support and image previews, so you can post them to networks like Facebook and Twitter as easily as normal.
If the ability to post images is important to you, make sure it’s an included feature for any tool you’re considering using.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to social media automation
- What does “social media automation” mean, exactly?
- Why shouldn’t I just keep updating my social media in real time?
- Can social media automation improve my marketing efforts?
- How do I know when and what to post on social media?
- How does social media automation save time?
- Can I pick what kind of updates get posted at what times?
- Will people know that my social media is automated?
- Automated social media posting vs. live posting
- Should I post the same social update more than once?
- What happens to an update after an automation tool posts it?
- Should I post the same updates on every social network?
MeetEdgar's Platform-Specific Guides
Looking for more help with social media? MeetEdgar has the expert answers to your questions about Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and more!
Social Media Scheduling & Automation
Part one of MeetEdgar’s series on social media automation best practices. This series explores why automation matters, what tools to use, and what you can expect.
The Edgar Guide to Blogging
Edgar’s social media experts weigh in on everything blogging, from why you need a blog – even if you don’t want one – to how to remain authentic when blogging for business.
Five Big Brands’ Strategies for Recycling Social Media Updates
More and more big brands are sharing their social media updates more than once – a look at how BuzzFeed, The New York Times, and others are doing it.