Social Media Automation
A Skeptic's Guide
Automated posting vs. live posting
What types of updates should I automate?
The different types of updates you can automate are virtually limitless.
For example, you can automate posts like:
- Links to your company blog
- Links to blog posts and articles you think are interesting
- Promotional links
- Questions for your followers
- Inspirational quotes
- Funny one-liners
- Daily hashtags (#TBT, #FF, etc.)
Updates like these are “evergreen” – they can be posted at almost any time without compromising your authenticity.
With evergreen content posting automatically on a regular basis, you can simply pop onto social media when it’s convenient to see how your audience is responding.
What types of updates should I post live?
Remember that social media automation does NOT eliminate the need for live engagement.
Certain types of updates demand to be posted live (and Twitter basically requires you to post live all the time), so you should continue paying attention to all of your social media feeds, so you can post certain things in real time.
- Replies to your followers
- Customer service responses
- Opinions on timely news events
- Congratulations to your aunt on the birth of her septuplets
The events that inspire updates like these can’t be predicted, so all you can do is wait for them to transpire and respond in a timely fashion – for a personal touch.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to social media automation
- What does “social media automation” mean, exactly?
- Why shouldn’t I just keep updating my social media in real time?
- Can Social Media Automation Improve My Marketing Efforts?
- How do I know when and what to post on social media?
- How does social media automation save time?
- Can I pick what kind of updates get posted at what times?
- Will people know that my social media is automated?
- Automated social media posting vs. live posting
- Should I post the same social update more than once?
- What Happens to an Update After An Automation Tool Posts It
- Should I post the same updates on every social network?
MeetEdgar's Platform-Specific Guides
Looking for more help with social media? MeetEdgar has the expert answers to your questions about Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and more!
Social Media Scheduling & Automation
Part one of MeetEdgar’s series on social media automation best practices. This series explores why automation matters, what tools to use, and what you can expect.
The Edgar Guide to Blogging
Edgar’s social media experts weigh in on everything blogging, from why you need a blog – even if you don’t want one – to how to remain authentic when blogging for business.
Five Big Brands’ Strategies for Recycling Social Media Updates
More and more big brands are sharing their social media updates more than once – a look at how BuzzFeed, The New York Times, and others are doing it.